Nowadays, almost every house has a fireplace and a chimney along with it. Although many modern techniques of heating the house have come into market the traditional methods still has its existence, where materials like coal and logs of wood are burnt in the fireplace. But such kinds of fireplace release a lot of smoke and leaves some stains behind, so it is important to maintain the chimney by properly cleaning it.
The main purpose of a chimney sweep is to clean the blocked fume walls so that the dangerous heat may pass properly through them, thus avoiding the risk of fire. Here are some of the steps which will be helpful in chimney cleaning.
Call a chimney Sweep: The easiest thing to do is to hire a certified chimney sweep, who is expert in removing the soot and debris. One more thing to be kept in mind is that the chimney cleaning guy should inspect the walls of for any crack in them, missing mortar or any loose bricks if present.
Clean it yourself
Before you start the cleaning process, cover the mouth of the fireplace and the area around it like the furniture, carpets, etc. with a plastic or cloth.
* There are different types of vacuum cleaners available in the market especially designed for chimney cleaning, you can buy one. This would be enough if your chimney is in some good condition.
* If your chimney is not in that good condition then you need to carry out a proper chimney cleaning. Some chemicals are available in market which helps in cleaning the interiors of the chimney. These chemicals melts down all the accumulated soot within the vent.
* Another way to do chimney cleaning is to buy a set of brushes, a ladder, mask a pair of gloves , a broom and a dustpan and start the manual cleaning.
* Here you need to use the ladder and start cleaning the top portion of the chimney with a pipe or brush. Later use the long brush to dig in and clean the interiors, and then clean the mouth of fireplace with broom and dustpan to gather all the waste accumulated.
How often chimney needs to be cleaned?
Ideally it must be cleaned once in a year preferred time is end of summer season. But if the condition is too bad than you can carry out the cleaning on quarterly basis.
Tips to be followed post Chimney cleaning
* Once the chimney cleaning is done ensure that you place a cap on top of the smoke vent with wired mesh so that any birds or animals dont enter through the pipe.
* Try to burn dry logs of woods. If the logs are wet, dry them properly at least for six months before burning them. Try to burn as much as seasoned hardwoods like oak and pine.
* Try to burn as little wood as possible, because less wood will generate less smoke and will also lessen the smoke accumulation on the chimney vents.
* Fix a spark guard at the mouth of chimney fireplace so that the hot fumes and unburnt logs dont come out in the room while burning.